[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.2-RC1 x64 - Dolphin won't unmount USB drive

Arthur A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Fri Jan 21 13:44:36 PST 2011

On 01/17/2011 9:24 AM, Kris Moore wrote:
> On 01/15/2011 15:33, Ian Robinson wrote:
>> A USB drive mounted via the command line or Dolphin will not unmount
>> so long as either Dolphin is running or the terminal is using anything
>> on the USB drive as its working directory (i.e.. #pwd)   Dolphin
>> generate's a HAL error message saying essentially that the device is
>> busy.  Likewise when using the umount command in the terminal, it
>> reports the USB device as busy.
>> However, if you terminate Dolphin and then restart it, you can
>> right-click on the USB disk icon in "Places" and unmount or eject
>> without problem.
>> Therefore, perhaps Dolphin could be tweaked to allow the unmount
>> without having to leave the program and come back to it.
>> Ian Robinson
>> Salem, Ohio
> What I've seen here is that you don't need to close dolphin, but rather
> just switch to a different directory, such as your homedir, and then you
> can right-click and unmount it.
> I agree though, it should be smarter, so that if you request to unmount
> it closes any associated windows automatically. However thats something
> that'll probably need to be addressed for dolphin specifically upstream.

I was looking at something relating to the newest version of HAL
(0.5.14_12) and was curious if it might be related to the above stuff.

"Adjust the code to parse the USB devd notification to be a bit broader.
This ensures that the USB cdev notifications are not passed to the
storage layer thus muting the USB device attach messages."