[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.2-RC1 x64 - Dolphin won't unmount USB drive

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Jan 17 07:24:20 PST 2011

On 01/15/2011 15:33, Ian Robinson wrote:
> A USB drive mounted via the command line or Dolphin will not unmount
> so long as either Dolphin is running or the terminal is using anything
> on the USB drive as its working directory (i.e.. #pwd)   Dolphin
> generate's a HAL error message saying essentially that the device is
> busy.  Likewise when using the umount command in the terminal, it
> reports the USB device as busy.
>
> However, if you terminate Dolphin and then restart it, you can
> right-click on the USB disk icon in "Places" and unmount or eject
> without problem.
>
> Therefore, perhaps Dolphin could be tweaked to allow the unmount
> without having to leave the program and come back to it.
>
> Ian Robinson
> Salem, Ohio

What I've seen here is that you don't need to close dolphin, but rather
just switch to a different directory, such as your homedir, and then you
can right-click and unmount it.

I agree though, it should be smarter, so that if you request to unmount
it closes any associated windows automatically. However thats something
that'll probably need to be addressed for dolphin specifically upstream.