[PC-BSD Testing] Installing and running on i386 laptop

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Jan 5 09:23:40 PST 2011

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 09:38:54PM +0100, rainer at ultra-secure.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to run PCBSD 8.2BETA1 on my Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook E8010.
> This is a 2003/2004-ish era laptop with Centrino chipset and a Pentium M
> 1.6 GHz with 1 GB RAM.
>
> First issue is that the video-card is not detected.
>
> lspci on linux says:
> 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated
> Graphics Device (rev 02)
>
> But whatever video-card I select, I either get a black screen and have to
> reboot or it says the equivalent of "it didn't work" and goes to the
> video-card selection again.

The intel driver available for FreeBSD right now is rather broken, and may not
work for this system. At the moment vesa may be your only option :(

> Then, skipping that step of the setup, I got into the desktop and wanted
> to setup wireless.
> When I wanted to save the configuration, the laptop rebooted spontaneously.
>
> After the reboot, the mouse didn't work anymore and PC-BSD informed me
> that it didn't find the soundcard anymore and the related devices did not
> work anymore.
> How can I fix that?

Sounds like the /etc/rc.conf file got blown away, you can replace it with
a copy from here:

http://trac.pcbsd.org/browser/pcbsd/stable/system-overlay/etc/rc.conf