[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 9 usb image

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Jan 4 07:37:36 PST 2011

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 10:14:00PM -0800, jmdennis @dslextreme.com wrote:
> One thing I have noticed with the usb image is that the install goes right
> past the desktop and will not let you select which desktop you want to
> install.  It also does not have enough applications to do any thing.  It
> does not even have a browser and thus you can not go and get PBI's to
> install items you want.  I love the fact that you have the usb image but it
> should include the same items as the dvd version.  I have had the spinning
> ball as well if gnome is selected on this but see that this is being fixed.
> If I select some thing else other then gnome I get the desktop just fine.  I
> look forward to testing more versions of this.

I'm experimenting with making the USB image smaller, I.E. the same as the CD image,
which means you'll be able to throw it on a 1GB USB stick, but the downside is that you lose
the ability to select the various packages until post-installation via the system-manager.

We'll be getting the Software Manager working with 9.x PBIs soon, but in the meantime I may
need to include some small web-brower in the base for cases like this. Not sure which is the
smallest, maybe Arora?