[PC-BSD Testing] Installing and running on i386 laptop

rainer at ultra-secure.de rainer at ultra-secure.de
Sat Jan 1 12:38:54 PST 2011

Hi,

I wanted to run PCBSD 8.2BETA1 on my Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook E8010.
This is a 2003/2004-ish era laptop with Centrino chipset and a Pentium M
1.6 GHz with 1 GB RAM.

First issue is that the video-card is not detected.

lspci on linux says:
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated
Graphics Device (rev 02)

But whatever video-card I select, I either get a black screen and have to
reboot or it says the equivalent of "it didn't work" and goes to the
video-card selection again.

Then, skipping that step of the setup, I got into the desktop and wanted
to setup wireless.
When I wanted to save the configuration, the laptop rebooted spontaneously.

After the reboot, the mouse didn't work anymore and PC-BSD informed me
that it didn't find the soundcard anymore and the related devices did not
work anymore.
How can I fix that?

Setup of the OS in the 2nd partition of the laptop while keeping the
linux-partition (and GRUB-bootloader) worked flawlessly, though.

Best Regards,
Rainer