[PC-BSD Testing] AppCafe naming concern (Re: 9-CURRENT 20110225 snapshot online)

Sam Lin semin2006 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 02:09:28 PST 2011

On 27 February 2011 06:02, <testing-request at lists.pcbsd.org> wrote:

> Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 10:44:16 -0500
> From: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>
> To: "testing at lists.pcbsd.org" <testing at lists.pcbsd.org>
> Subject: [PC-BSD Testing] 9-CURRENT 20110225 snapshot online
>
> In regard to the Software Browser, it has now been renamed the
> "AppCafe", and it should be functional for browsing / installing some of
> the PBIs we've uploaded for testing, such as firefox, thunderbird,
> openoffice, etc.
>
> - --
>  Kris Moore

I agree that "AppCafe" is a good name. However by calling "App-something" I
am also very concerned about Apple - they tend to claim anything starting
with those key-words like "App" or "i" except their own products are
damaging their brand/trademark/image or infringe their patent. One of the
most recent examples is the fight for trademark "AppStore" against Microsoft
(For instance,
http://ipwatchdog.com/2011/01/17/apple-microsoft-fight-over-app-store-trademark-app/id=14438/
).

I cannot help worrying - what if Apple files a complaint against the PCBSD
project? Will the PCBSD project be able to, or have any resource to, defeat
the giant in any patent lawsuit?

Sam