[PC-BSD Testing] Install woes on MacBook2,1

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Tue Feb 8 06:07:25 PST 2011

On 02/08/2011 6:32 AM, Miki Janosi wrote:
> On Monday, January 31, 2011 01:28:03 pm Kris Moore wrote:
>
>> That's possible. geom_label is already apart of the kernel, but I've
>> gone ahead and added mbr/bsd to load for RC3. When that hits can you
>> re-test?
>>
> RC3 fails too, same error:
>
> 	Can only install directly to a MBR partition!
>
> Is it just my Macbook version or can no one install on a
> Macbook using bootcamp? FreeBSD RC3 installed with
> some difficulty. Isn't there a way to manually get PC-BSD
> installed? Like boot live mode and un-tar some stuff to the
> hard drive?

I'm no expert on the matter but does that Macbook use EFI? There's a lot
of Mac-specific hardware that I would not doubt is tripping up the
install. I don't think FreeBSD is designed to install on a Macbook, boot
camp or otherwise because of how Apple locks out fiddling with the
hardware (read: proprietary). Have you tried booting a live DVD? You've
already looked at: http://wiki.freebsd.org/AppleMacbook ?

Arthur