[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.2-RC3-x64 -- A few error messages

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 16:46:58 PST 2011

I'm testing PCBSD 8.2-RC3-x64 on an HP xw9400, twin AMD Opteron dual-core
CPUs @ 2.6 MHz, 8 Gb RAM, nVidia GT240.  This was an "Upgrade" install over
8.2-RC2-x64.

1.  Installer displays bizarre pick list for "upgrade" target system.

The install was flawless except for a bizarre little display when it came to
the part were the user selects which system he or she wants to upgrade.
(See illustration at Section 4.1 of the PC-BSD Handbook, page 46).  The
target disk was a SATA identified in my system as "ad4" and on which ad4s1
was an XP installation and ad4s2 was the existing PCBSD 8.2-RC2
installation.  The installer correctly selected ad4s2.  The file system on
ad4s2 was the PCBSD default (/, swap, /var, /usr, etc.)  So, it had nothing
extraordinary.  However, the installer populated the list with eight (8)
partitions with the following names:

ad4s2a
ad4s2a
ad4s2aa
ad4s2aa
ad4s2aa
ad4s2aa
ad4s2ca
ad4s2ca

Huh?  Everything is duplicated. What is this "aa" and "ac" stuff?  I have
never seen this before on any upgrade.  So I picked the first one on the
list, and the installation went just fine.

In connection with PCBSD installations, it is well known that the "older"
versions used a filesystem with a single slice "/", whereas the "newer"
systems use a file system with several slices "/", swap, /var, /usr.  For
example, using a dual boot system on ad4 where ad4s1 is windows and ad4s2 is
PCBSD:

ad4s2a (  /  )
ad4s2b ( swap )
ad4s2d ( /var )
ad4s2e ( /usr )

I'm supposing that all of those on slices on ad4s2 displayed in the window.
For any user with a dual boot system like mine, "use entire disk" is not an
option.  What I am concerned about is a user selecting ad4s2a as the target
for a fresh install, only to run out of room during the installation.  Will
this be a problem or do you have some fail safe method in place where
choosing ad4s2a as the target adopts s2b, s2d, s2e, etc. or, alternatively,
simply (and properly in this case) writes over them.

A few other very minor things that cropped up on this first boot:

2.  Dmesg displays wrong transfer speed for CD0  (should be 33.00 MB/s but
shows 3.300 MB/s)

cd0: <TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H352C BB01> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
cd0: 3.300MB/s transfers
<-------------------------------------------Compare This Transfer Speed
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present -
tray closed
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
SMP: AP CPU #2 Launched!
SMP: AP CPU #3 Launched!cd1 at ata0 bus 0 scbus3 target 1 lun 0

cd1: <SONY DVD RW DRU-830A SS25> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
cd1: 66.000MB/s transfers
<-------------------------------------------Compare This Transfer Speed

3 -- Warning Messages

Feb  4 18:34:42 rtbank avahi-daemon[2328]: WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS
detected, consider installing nss-mdns!

Feb  4 18:34:54 rtbank kdm_greet[2641]: Cannot set locale. Translations will
not work.

4 -- X.org Log Errors
Error    Error loading keymap /usr/local/share/X11/xkb/compiled/server-0.xkm
Error    Error loading keymap /usr/local/share/X11/xkb/compiled/server-0.xkm

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio