[PC-BSD Testing] Did anyone catch this info on MidnightBSD?

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Tue Feb 1 07:33:28 PST 2011

On 02/01/2011 9:28 AM, Mike Bybee wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Arthur Koziol<A-Koziol at neiu.edu>  wrote:

>>> CLANG and USB3 are the parts I know that I'm looking forward too...
>>> but I agree. Wouldn't it be *great* if someone were to come up with a
>>> nice, simple GUI for installing ports and packages? It'd be even nicer
>>> if it were based on a *current* FreeBSD, not FreeBSD 6.
>>>
>>> Oh well. Guess I'm stuck with PC-BSD for now :)
>>>
>> Didn't USB 3 support get snuck into 8-CURENT? I could swear I read that it
>> did.
>>
>> I wouldn't doubt some enterprising person will see how the ports GUI works
>> in the .3 version of MidnightBSD and figure out how to make it work in BSD 8
>> or 9. Old-schoolers and purists might shrug but choice isn't such a bad
>> thing. If you look at the development cycle of MidnightBSD, it'll hit 1.0
>> some time in 2020. By then, well....ports and packages will be installed via
>> mental telepathy of course. :-)
>>
>> Arthur
>>

> I was, of course, being somewhat facetious, since the PBI system is
> far more elegant than a simple GUI ports interface. If you seriously
> want to include one, Port Authority (for Darwin Ports - that's the OSX
> port of the BSD ports set) is pretty decent.
> http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/18980/portauthority/
>
> It's a bit odd that he *charges* for such a tool, but the idea is
> still good. I'd volunteer, but I am already way behind on my existing
> commitments to BSD as it is right now... MidnightBSD 1.0 might be done
> first :D

Nice. And by the time I learn to program and use Qt, MidnightBSD 1.0
might be out too. Believe it or not, I have been inspired to learn
programming and, although maybe lame in some peoples view, I am taking
Java Programming here at my univ. Sadly, it's all they offer. Gotta
start somewhere I guess.

Arthur