[PC-BSD Testing] Did anyone catch this info on MidnightBSD?

Mike Bybee mbybee at dometrilogy.com
Tue Feb 1 07:28:19 PST 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Arthur Koziol <A-Koziol at neiu.edu> wrote:
> On 02/01/2011 8:58 AM, Mike Bybee wrote:

>>> Isn't the app installer change the big thing in BSD 9.0?
>>>
>>> Arthur
>>>

>> CLANG and USB3 are the parts I know that I'm looking forward too...
>> but I agree. Wouldn't it be *great* if someone were to come up with a
>> nice, simple GUI for installing ports and packages? It'd be even nicer
>> if it were based on a *current* FreeBSD, not FreeBSD 6.
>>
>> Oh well. Guess I'm stuck with PC-BSD for now :)
>
> Didn't USB 3 support get snuck into 8-CURENT? I could swear I read that it
> did.
>
> I wouldn't doubt some enterprising person will see how the ports GUI works
> in the .3 version of MidnightBSD and figure out how to make it work in BSD 8
> or 9. Old-schoolers and purists might shrug but choice isn't such a bad
> thing. If you look at the development cycle of MidnightBSD, it'll hit 1.0
> some time in 2020. By then, well....ports and packages will be installed via
> mental telepathy of course. :-)
>
> Arthur

I was, of course, being somewhat facetious, since the PBI system is
far more elegant than a simple GUI ports interface. If you seriously
want to include one, Port Authority (for Darwin Ports - that's the OSX
port of the BSD ports set) is pretty decent.
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/18980/portauthority/

It's a bit odd that he *charges* for such a tool, but the idea is
still good. I'd volunteer, but I am already way behind on my existing
commitments to BSD as it is right now... MidnightBSD 1.0 might be done
first :D

--
Thanks,
Mike Bybee