[PC-BSD Testing] Did anyone catch this info on MidnightBSD?

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Tue Feb 1 07:17:47 PST 2011

On 02/01/2011 8:58 AM, Mike Bybee wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Arthur Koziol<A-Koziol at neiu.edu>  wrote:
>
>> On 01/31/2011 11:16 PM, jmdennis @dslextreme.com wrote:
>>
>>> If you scroll down a little bit on the link they talk about GhostBSD
>>> that wants to have an application installer like other distributions.
>>>
>>> http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20110124#news

>> Isn't the app installer change the big thing in BSD 9.0?
>>
>> Arthur
>>
> CLANG and USB3 are the parts I know that I'm looking forward too...
> but I agree. Wouldn't it be *great* if someone were to come up with a
> nice, simple GUI for installing ports and packages? It'd be even nicer
> if it were based on a *current* FreeBSD, not FreeBSD 6.
>
> Oh well. Guess I'm stuck with PC-BSD for now :)

Didn't USB 3 support get snuck into 8-CURENT? I could swear I read that
it did.

I wouldn't doubt some enterprising person will see how the ports GUI
works in the .3 version of MidnightBSD and figure out how to make it
work in BSD 8 or 9. Old-schoolers and purists might shrug but choice
isn't such a bad thing. If you look at the development cycle of
MidnightBSD, it'll hit 1.0 some time in 2020. By then, well....ports and
packages will be installed via mental telepathy of course. :-)

Arthur