[PC-BSD Testing] Did anyone catch this info on MidnightBSD?

Mike Bybee mbybee at dometrilogy.com
Tue Feb 1 06:58:51 PST 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Arthur Koziol <A-Koziol at neiu.edu> wrote:
> On 01/31/2011 11:16 PM, jmdennis @dslextreme.com wrote:
>>
>> If you scroll down a little bit on the link they talk about GhostBSD
>> that wants to have an application installer like other distributions.
>>
>> http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20110124#news
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Arthur Koziol<A-Koziol at neiu.edu>  wrote:
>>

>>> "Lucas Holt has announced the release of MidnightBSD 0.3, an operating
>>> system (forked from FreeBSD 6) with a goal of creating an easy-to-use
>>> desktop environment with graphical ports management and system
>>> configuration:...." (my bold)
>>>
>>> Wow. I haven't tried it yet but I wonder how handy a GUI managed port
>>> system
>>> would be for some people? I thought that was interested as it immediately
>>> caught my eye. Just wanted to pass it along.
>>>
>>> Arthur
>>>

> Isn't the app installer change the big thing in BSD 9.0?
>
> Arthur

CLANG and USB3 are the parts I know that I'm looking forward too...
but I agree. Wouldn't it be *great* if someone were to come up with a
nice, simple GUI for installing ports and packages? It'd be even nicer
if it were based on a *current* FreeBSD, not FreeBSD 6.

Oh well. Guess I'm stuck with PC-BSD for now :)

--
Thanks,
Mike Bybee