[PC-BSD Testing] Language setting partially respected

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Dec 28 10:47:26 PST 2011

On 12/27/2011 13:21, Edsel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was having trouble with KDE only partially respecting my language setting. KDE 'things' were respecting my language, but installed applications came in English. Commenting the LANG setting in /etc/profile solved this 'problem'. However, I'm wondering if this was occasionally me or something that needs a fix or is allready fixed.
>
> I'm on 9.0-RC2, installed in Dutch. Also, things which didn't have effect:
> - setting language in GDM
> - setting language in KDE Control Center
> - setting LANG in ~/.profile
> - setting lang in ~/.login_conf
>
> --
> Edsel

I've fixed this for -Release.. You need to add this to /etc/profile:

if [ -z "$LANG" -o "$LANG" = "C" ] ; then
  LANG="en_US.UTF-8"; export LANG
fi

And to /etc/csh.cshrc

if ( $?LANG ) then
else
  setenv LANG en_US.UTF-8
endif

That will fix it getting reset to english after you select a language in
GDM :)