[PC-BSD Testing] portjail delete nukes /usr/home

Ben Milman ben at ixsystems.com
Fri Dec 23 13:32:45 PST 2011

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Lars Engels <lars.engels at 0x20.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 10:05:59AM -0800, Ben Milman wrote:
> > Thanks a lot Kris! Sounds like the wrong-version bug was fixed in this
> > morning's patch, too.
> >
> > Ben Milman
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 6:24 AM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > >  On 12/20/2011 14:41, Ben Milman wrote:
> > >
> > > Grab a seat, there's a bit of a story, and it includes three bugs.
> > >
> > >  In PC-BSD 9 RC3, upgraded that day from RC2, I decided to try out
> > > gmail-notifier from ports as a preliminary to making a pbi. I ran
> portjail
> > > init and selected download but it failed with a message I no longer
> have
> > > recorded for reasons that will become apparent. However, part of the
> > > message was that it had tried to download the portjail for RC2. When I
> > > checked my system manager in gnome, it opened and then promptly
> crashed (it
> > > didn't crash in KDE and doesn't crash on my new fresh RC3 in gnome, so
> this
> > > may be a symptom of another update-related bug), but since it froze on
> the
> > > first screen I could see that the system was showing PC-BSD version
> RC2 but
> > > base version RC3. I assume this was the cause of the portjail download
> > > failure. I compiled the portjail instead, to check if that was working
> (I
> > > included system source and ports tree in my original install). It did,
> so I
> > > decided to delete the portjail so that I could show the first error to
> > > someone. However, upon running portjail delete, all my desktop icons
> > > disappeared.
> > >
> > >  Further investigation showed that all the directories in my /usr/home
> > > directory were now gone. I didn't check other directories in /usr
> because I
> > > was in too much of a rush to get back up and running (this is a work
> > > computer). I decided to reinstall rather than reconstruct in place, so
> I'm
> > > now on RC3 straight and can no longer reproduce the portjail download
> > > failure bug. However, it remains that the PC-BSD version apparently
> failed
> > > to increment during the standard update from RC2 to RC3, and that
> portjail
> > > delete wiped my /usr/home directory on the OUTER system. IRC
> conversations
> > > suggested that a bug such as this:
> > > https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee/issues/123 might be responsible,
> but
> > > it's still odd that the outer system experienced changes from portjail
> > > delete.
> > >
> > >  There's also a typo in line 317 of portjail.sh - "Enter d tor
> download"
> > > should be "Enter d for download".
> > >
> > > Ben Milman

> > > Thanks for the heads up. I've fixed the issue deleting the homedir, and
> [...]

Lars -

Luckily it was an only recently inhabited system, plus I back up critical
files. I lost only about three hours of work in the end, and another few
getting operational again. I'm actually glad it happened to me and not
someone else post-release - I knew what I was getting into using prerelease
versions. Apology fully accepted, no serious harm done.

Ben Milman