[PC-BSD Testing] Patch to test fast-booting

Ian McNulty ian-mcnulty at o2.co.uk
Fri Dec 23 08:29:14 PST 2011

Tested from initial boot (pre splash image) to login prompt on a gnome
desktop with X86 2.4 GHz Pentium and 1gb RAM. (RC3).

Prior to patch, 95 seconds, post patch, 65 seconds. Assuming I boot up
twice a day, then I save just over 6 hours in a year. That's a few
decent movies I would have missed.

I did not detect any downside to start up, as desktop was fully
functional 40 seconds after login in both scenarios.

Looking forward to 9.0.

Thanks and Happy Christmas to all

Ian McNulty