[PC-BSD Testing] AppCafe/pbi_deleterepo

Tigersharke . tigersharke at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 19:11:56 PST 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Tigersharke . <tigersharke at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 8:31 AM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:
>
>>  On 12/21/2011 04:19, Tigersharke . wrote:
>>
>> Hello..
>>
>> In my attempts to configure a local PBI repository, I have discovered a
>> rather unfriendly bug. I stumbled through the repo creation process, then
>> decided to remove *my* repo, intending to do no other damage.
>>
>>    - Upon removing id 002 (my repo) with pbi_deleterepo, AppCafe would
>>    no longer start from the system tray.
>>    - Re-adding my repo with pbi_addrepo, allowed AppCafe to start once
>>    more, but the default PC-BSD repo remained inaccessible.
>>    - Lacking a properly defined repository prevents installed PBI files
>>    from being displayed in AppCafe, but pbi_info does list them.
>>

>> Please send the output of these commands:
>>
>> # pbi_listrepo
>> # ls /var/db/pbi/index
>>

>> It may not have been the most brilliant idea to remove all repos but
>> since it seemed that I had no access anyway, I didn't feel that I lost
>> anything more.
>>
>> Without a repo defined, AppCafe will not load from the system tray, and
>> attempts from commandline result in the following:
>>
>> [tigersharke at Mutant] > appcafe
>> Locale: "en"
>> Application starting...
>> Populating list...
>> Reading PBI List
>> RealUser: "tigersharke"
>> Adding Repos...
>> Segmentation fault
>>
>> Perhaps it would be wise, in such a situation, for there to be an option
>> to obtain the pbi repo information/file for the default repository, or
>> automatically, or maybe even as a function of the update manager should the
>> default repo data become lost.  Even without those possible mechanisms
>> added, the default appcafe repo file ought to exist somewhere on the system
>> as a precaution.
>>
>> Thanks for your efforts!
>>

>> PS. How can I recover AppCafe functionality?  How can I define the
>> Official PBI Repository?
>>

>> Download this file:
>>

>> http://trac.pcbsd.org/export/14391/pcbsd/current/src-sh/pbi-manager/repo/pcbsd.rpo
>>
>> Then do a pbi_addrepo to re-init it.
>>

>> <snip>
>
> *So* there seems to be metadata still missing, which remains a popup
> warning at the start of AppCafe.
>
> Thanks for your effort!

Hello.. an update.

My AppCafe seems to be back to its old self.  I am uncertain whether a
system reboot or stopping the pc-systemupdatertray happened to be the
missing step.

A couple suggestions:

   - Adding a repo should cause a re-fetch of metadata for installed repos.
   Perhaps a -HUP signal could be used to cause this, which would also be
   accessible via kill on the command line.
   - Ability to remove a repo, complimenting the add repo in AppCafe.

Questions:

   1. Could some sort of index file be placed in each directory of the
   repository.. or is meta data somehow constructed from the directory listing?
   2. If I create a local PBI with pbi_makeport that is of a newer version
   than a PBI installed via AppCafe, is there a mechanism to update it locally
   rather than removing the old one and adding the newer one?

Thanks for your help/efforts!