[PC-BSD Testing] Patch to test fast-booting

Sven Möller smoeller at nichthelfer.de
Tue Dec 20 11:29:33 PST 2011

Hi Kris,

after using these rc scripts, it seems that booting is faster. I don't know how much seconds faster, but it feels good. I've noticed one little issue. At the moment i have a old wacom intous 2 graphics tablet as my primary pointing device (connected via USB). In X the mouse pointer is working after a short period of time, not immediately when GDM is up. This ain't a big problem to me. I can use just my keyboard for the login. The mouse pointer is working when my KDE desktop is ready to use.

In my opinion, on the one hand it's a big deal to boot PCBSD faster. But on the other hand i agree with others on this list, that it's better not to release this feature in 9.0. It would be a really bad beginning if it would breaks something the users really need. Keep up the great work. I will continue testing this fast-booting feature.

Sven