[PC-BSD Testing] Patch to test fast-booting

Lars Engels lars.engels at 0x20.net
Tue Dec 20 04:32:06 PST 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 01:39:26PM -0500, Kris Moore wrote:

> Testers,
>
> Got a few files here I thought I'd make available for testing to
> evaluate putting them into 9.0.
>
> This updated /etc/rc & /etc/rc.delay files change how booting works, to
> try and boot us faster to a GUI login. This happens by delaying certain
> services / networking from loading until after the GUI starts. On my
> slower netboot here, it shaved a 84 second boot down to 45ish seconds,
> almost a 50% reduction. I'll be curious to hear about others results,
> plus if any problems occur.
>
> To test this out, first as root do:
>
> # cp /etc/rc /etc/rc.orig
>
> Then copy the attached rc & rc.delay to /etc/rc and /etc/rc.delay
> respectively.
>
> After that you can reboot and see if it makes any difference for you.
>
> If you want to undo the patch, just do:
>
> # cp /etc/rc.orig /etc/rc
> # rm /etc/rc.delay
>
> I'd be curious to hear about boot-times before and after, I timed it
> here from the boot-splash screen to the time the login appeared for GDM.
>
> Thanks!

Kris,

I'd vote against adding it to 9.0. PCBSD is already in the last RC stage
and adding this feature may be nice but can cause breakage for many
people.
Personally I'd love to have a faster booting FreeBSD with parallelized
deterministic hardware sensing and parallelized rc scripts.
But I always disliked the way Windows does it: Having a login prompt and
desktop very early but then wait for the network... IMHO network
connectivity should always be the first thing to start because I don't
want an offline machine. :)

Cheers
Lars