[PC-BSD Testing] RC3 Skype and Linux-thunderbid

Ian McNulty ian-mcnulty at o2.co.uk
Tue Dec 20 03:28:00 PST 2011

Fresh install of RC3 going very well except for a couple of issues. I
have kde and gnome installed and these errors are from a kde desktop.

Installed skype from app cafe pbi. when run from menu, it asks for root
privilege. After giving root password, the following error message
appears "Cannot execute command '/usr/pbi/skype-i386/.sbin/skype'."

When run from terminal as normal user, I get the following:
[ian at PCBSDDESKTOP] ~> skype
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so' from LD_PRELOAD
cannot be preloaded: ignored.
/usr/pbi/skype-i386/share/skype/skype: error while loading shared
libraries: /usr/pbi/skype-i386/lib/libSM.so.6: ELF file OS ABI invalid
[ian at PCBSDDESKTOP] ~>

I also tried to install the port (not in a jail) with no luck - it
didn't compile.

Second problem is with linux-thunderbird port (perhaps a freebsd issue).

Everything installs from the port, including menu item, but will not run
from menu. I should add that the PCBSD PBI version of thunderbird runs
perfectly, but the lightning extension for BSD is incompatible with the
linux version.

When run from terminal, I get the following:
[ian at PCBSDDESKTOP] ~> linux-thunderbird

(process:1159): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
         Using the fallback 'C' locale.

(thunderbird-bin:1159): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
module_path: "qtcurve",

The linux-thunderbird issue is no big deal, but there must be plenty of
us using skype.

Thanks and seasons greetings to all

Ian