[PC-BSD Testing] Patch to test fast-booting

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Dec 19 10:39:26 PST 2011

Testers,

Got a few files here I thought I'd make available for testing to
evaluate putting them into 9.0.

This updated /etc/rc & /etc/rc.delay files change how booting works, to
try and boot us faster to a GUI login. This happens by delaying certain
services / networking from loading until after the GUI starts. On my
slower netboot here, it shaved a 84 second boot down to 45ish seconds,
almost a 50% reduction. I'll be curious to hear about others results,
plus if any problems occur.

To test this out, first as root do:

# cp /etc/rc /etc/rc.orig

Then copy the attached rc & rc.delay to /etc/rc and /etc/rc.delay
respectively.

After that you can reboot and see if it makes any difference for you.

If you want to undo the patch, just do:

# cp /etc/rc.orig /etc/rc
# rm /etc/rc.delay

I'd be curious to hear about boot-times before and after, I timed it
here from the boot-splash screen to the time the login appeared for GDM.

Thanks!