[PC-BSD Testing] upgrading.. slower than needs be

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Sun Dec 18 01:54:26 PST 2011

On 12/18/11 1:31 AM, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On 12/18/11 1:27 AM, Julian Elischer wrote:

>>> The initial patch meta-data (less than 10k) is downloaded from our
>>> master update server. After that, the rest comes from your selected
>>> mirror. Check /usr/local/etc/pcbsd.conf to see what mirror is set.

>>> The upgrade files are stored in /usr/local/tmp/9.0-RC3

>>> # pc-updatemanager install 9.0-RC3
>>

>> thanks
>>
>> currently I can not connect to ftp.pcbsd.org
>>
>> I get rejects for my SYNs
>> however there is something wrong because fetch is retrying and it
>> immediatly retries teh DNS lookup and teh connect so that the
>> result is a flood of SYN/REJ/DNS/SYN?REJ/DNS packets at about 100
>> cycles per second..  maybe an arg to fetch to not retry quite so
>> quickly will stop your server from being flooded by SYNs (which I
>> suspect it is right now)
>
> I added -w 10 -r   to the fetch command and it seems a lot happier.

when it eventually succeeds, it however decides I'm already upgraded..
however if I try add a new system package (Base-Devel)  it looks for
RC2 not RC3..

and NOW for some reason it says that 9.0-RC3 is an invalid update..

so the system doesn't know what release it is currently at.
in addition the files in /usr/local/tmp/9.0-RC3 don't all seem to be
there..
The packages directory  seems to stop at 'e'. There are no packages
starting with 'f-z'.

maybe I should remove the whole directory

hmm that hasn't helped with the "invalid update" problem.