[PC-BSD Testing] upgrading.. slower than needs be

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Sun Dec 18 01:27:15 PST 2011

On 12/16/11 8:54 AM, Kris Moore wrote:
> On 12/16/2011 11:35, Julian Elischer wrote:

>>> I'll see what we can do to speed this up :) Parallel downloads would
>>> help for sure, if anything we can do the md5 at the same time.
>>>

>> looking at the new announcement..
>>
>> several other things
>> In RC2 when I try log in as root to do the upgrade to RC3 lots of
>> windows come up 'greyed out' and I can't make the take notice..  for
>> example the upgrade control window.. not  idea what that is about.
>>
>> When I do it from MY login it works but the upgrade seems to always go
>> to pcbsd.org and never to a mirror.. I can't make it take notice of
>> the 'mirror' setting in the PCBSD control panel.
>>   looks like I'm beating up someone's DSL link... it's slow.
>>
> The initial patch meta-data (less than 10k) is downloaded from our
> master update server. After that, the rest comes from your selected
> mirror. Check /usr/local/etc/pcbsd.conf to see what mirror is set.
>
>> not the upgrade failed once, and it seems confused about whether it is
>> done or not..  how do I check? where are the files stored?
>>

> The upgrade files are stored in /usr/local/tmp/9.0-RC3
>
>> how do I manually kick it off and how do I tell it to go to somewhere
>> fast?
>>

> # pc-updatemanager install 9.0-RC3

thanks

currently I can not connect to ftp.pcbsd.org

I get rejects for my SYNs
however there is something wrong because fetch is retrying and it
immediatly retries teh DNS lookup and teh connect so that the result
is a flood of SYN/REJ/DNS/SYN?REJ/DNS packets at about 100 cycles per
second..  maybe an arg to fetch to not retry quite so quickly will
stop your server from being flooded by SYNs (which I suspect it is
right now)