[PC-BSD Testing] upgrading.. slower than needs be

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Fri Dec 16 08:35:28 PST 2011

On 12/5/11 8:02 AM, Kris Moore wrote:
> On 12/01/2011 21:06, Julian Elischer wrote:
>> On 12/1/11 5:03 PM, Julian Elischer wrote:
>>> Watching the RC1->RC2 upgrade on my nice shiny new 15Mb/sec internet
>>> link, I now see that teh upgrade process does one file at a time.
>>> it would be a lot faster to overlap the downloads if it were
>>> possible. Does the upgrade process know of more than one file that it
>>> needs to get?
>>
>> One could at least make the fetch of the checksum file be done in
>> parallel, so that the tcp handshake is done during the transfer of the
>> main file.
>> Looking at my system upgrading however it looks as though there is
>> something else that should be found too.
>> It's 95 % idle, yet it is only asking for each file, one at a time
>> with large gaps between them.(10 seconds)?
>> Disk I doesn't seem to be  a bottleneck either so I can't work out
>> what the holdup is.
>
> I'll see what we can do to speed this up :) Parallel downloads would
> help for sure, if anything we can do the md5 at the same time.

looking at the new announcement..

several other things
In RC2 when I try log in as root to do the upgrade to RC3 lots of
windows come up 'greyed out' and I can't make the take notice..  for
example the upgrade control window.. not  idea what that is about.

When I do it from MY login it works but the upgrade seems to always go
to pcbsd.org and never to a mirror.. I can't make it take notice of
the 'mirror' setting in the PCBSD control panel.
  looks like I'm beating up someone's DSL link... it's slow.

not the upgrade failed once, and it seems confused about whether it is
done or not..  how do I check? where are the files stored?

how do I manually kick it off and how do I tell it to go to somewhere
fast?