[PC-BSD Testing] ports tree auto-update

Arthur A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Wed Dec 14 16:41:22 PST 2011

On 12/14/2011 5:33 PM, Tigersharke . wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Sean Cavanaugh
> <Millenia2000 at hotmail.com <mailto:Millenia2000 at hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     ‘Portsnap fetch extract’  ??
>
>     *From:* testing-bounces at lists.pcbsd.org

<2 Cents>
Well, I know there are some on this list who are still stuck on dial-up
for whatever reason and for an automatic ports fetch to run without
asking would suck what little bandwidth they had. They'd be wondering
why the connection was so slow not knowing that a background task
pulling ports tree is running. If such a thing were ever implemented, a
simple dialogue box asking "Hey, do you want to download the latest
ports tree right now?" Doing it without asking is probably not the best
approach for those situations I just described. I don't think some kind
of thing that can be scheduled (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.) to
automate the fetch is such a bad idea. It seems like a natural evolution
to me but it should have user control over schedule and settings to turn
it on or off.
</2 Cents>

Arthur