[PC-BSD Testing] ports tree auto-update

Tigersharke . tigersharke at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 15:33:07 PST 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Sean Cavanaugh <Millenia2000 at hotmail.com>wrote:

> ‘Portsnap fetch extract’  ??****
>
> ** **

Of course portsnap fetch extract (and/or update) would work.

However, an assumption with PC-BSD is ease-of-use and general automation of
tasks.  I was not necessarily suggesting any sort of continual update
process, though that could be done.  What I meant was that at the least,
the first login to a fresh install of PC-BSD, would have the most
up-to-date ports tree.  It may actually use portsnap behind the scenes to
accomplish this.
The reasoning was the expectation by the average user that everything
is/would be current right after install. Many of us are very well aware
that there is a flood of updates due to freezes around release time.
Additionally, I foresee an increased use of things such as EasyPBI, which
necessarily would work best with an up-to-date ports tree.

Actually, now that I've spent more time thinking about it.. it makes a lot
of sense for those who choose to install the ports tree, that it auto
updated on a reasonably regular basis. This is only the tree framework, and
not an update of installed ports in which case there could be issues (as
reported in /usr/ports/UPDATING).

Thanks for your comment!