[PC-BSD Testing] Installation error subject to MBR

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Aug 29 12:03:55 PDT 2011

On 08/27/11 09:05, Serghey Suvorov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Comp configuration: CPU P4 650 model; MB ASUS P5GD1Pro with on-board
> ICH6 sound;
> NVIDIA 9400 GT; 4GB DDR-SDRAM; HD0 (WinXP/C, WinXP/D, Scientific
> Linux), HD1 (WinXP/E, PCBSD).
>
> Installation: PCBSD9.0-BETA1.5-x64-DVD.iso, ZFS, GNOME, NVIDIA,
> Base-Devel, Base-l18N; sys.lang=En, keyb=default.
>
> The attached *.zip contains 3 files.
>
> 1MBR.dat is MBR in HD1 after full ntfs-formatting; partition deletion;
> and creation of 2 primary partitions: 1st with ntfs, and 2nd without
> formatting. PCBSD was installed on 2nd partition without problems.
>
> 2MBR.dat is the MBR after deletion PCBSD partition (which had been
> installed before), and creation the primary one without formatting.
> PCBSD installation on that partition was halted.
> 3rd file contains the report.
>
> These MBRs are different in 2 bytes in FreeBSD range.
>
> Main: the same error had occured, when I had installed
> PCBSD over already installed one without preceding its deletion.
>
> The check experiments were realized with the same results.
>
> Best regards
> Serghey

Thanks for the error report!

In this particular error, the MBR doesn't seem to have anything to do
with it. The real error message is in the logfile here:

Running: umount /dev/ada1s2a
umount: unmount of /mnt/boot failed: Device busy
EXITERROR: Error 1: umount /dev/ada1s2a

I'm trying to duplicate this, but haven't been able to so far. The
second time you loaded the system, did you have xterm open or anything
running in /mnt while the install was going?