[PC-BSD Testing] Swap and root partition sizes... wtf?

LinuxBSDos.com finid at linuxbsdos.com
Wed Aug 24 13:29:47 PDT 2011

> On 24/08/2011 20:36, Jamie Ivanov wrote:
>> 2*mem was the rule of thumb 10 years ago. I've run bsd from 486's to
>> multi-core xeon servers, I have *never* used more than 1G swap. Back in
>> those 486 days the rule of thumb applied. But still, 9G of swap? Its
>> simple to incorporate your "rule of thumb" with a logical limiter so
>> nobody waste 9G on swap. With 4G of ram, I doubt swap will ever be used,
>> it hasn't yet.
>
> I have a machine with 16GB RAM and would be rather disappointed if I saw
> that 32GB of disk space was used for swap :)

2*mem was valid when RAM was not much. A very recent (2010) Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 5 installation guide gave the following for deciding how
disk space to allocate to Swap, based, of course, on how much RAM is
installed:

4GB of RAM or less === a minimum of 2GB of swap space

4GB to 16GB of RAM === a minimum of 4GB of swap space

16GB to 64GB of RAM === a minimum of 8GB of swap space

64GB to 256GB of RAM === a minimum of 16GB of swap space

256GB to 512GB of RAM === a minimum of 32GB of swap space

--
Fini D.
http://LinuxBSDos.com