[PC-BSD Testing] Swap and root partition sizes... wtf?

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Wed Aug 24 12:48:40 PDT 2011

On 24/08/2011 20:41, Kris Moore wrote:
> On 08/24/2011 15:37, Bruce Cran wrote:
>> On 24/08/2011 20:36, Jamie Ivanov wrote:
>>> 2*mem was the rule of thumb 10 years ago. I've run bsd from 486's to
>>> multi-core xeon servers, I have *never* used more than 1G swap. Back
>>> in those 486 days the rule of thumb applied. But still, 9G of swap?
>>> Its simple to incorporate your "rule of thumb" with a logical
>>> limiter so nobody waste 9G on swap. With 4G of ram, I doubt swap
>>> will ever be used, it hasn't yet.
>>
>> I have a machine with 16GB RAM and would be rather disappointed if I
>> saw that 32GB of disk space was used for swap :)
>>
> What do you think the upper-limit should be on SWAP then? 2/4 or higher?

I'd probably normally go higher, allocating 8GB even on a machine with
16GB RAM - but that may be more suitable for a server system than
desktop - I know one reason to have 'plenty' of swap is to give people
enough time to notice that the disk is thrashing and run to kill the
errant process!  At least at one time it was also recommended to have
the same amount of swap as installed RAM in order to do crash dumps, but
I think we do minidumps by default now?

--
Bruce