[PC-BSD Testing] Swap and root partition sizes... wtf?

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Aug 24 12:31:05 PDT 2011

On 08/24/2011 15:20, Jamie Ivanov wrote:
> Of course, excellent suggestion. 9G of swap is still beyond ridiculous though.
>
> It would have been nice for the installer to give a partition summary so I could have gone back and manually setup partitions.

You mean something like this? :)

http://www.pcbsd.org/~kris/system-summary.png

> My 2 cents worth is 4G root and 512 (or even 1G if necessary) of swap, that is how I've rolled since freebsd 4.x and I've never had to adjust that :)

We deal with a lot of systems running on older hardware, which often
have limited space, so having less on "/" and more on "/usr" is
typically what we want. The problem with adjusting swap is that
everybody has their own way of doing it, but 2*mem still seems to be the
rule of thumb.