[PC-BSD Testing] Swap and root partition sizes... wtf?

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Aug 24 12:14:34 PDT 2011

On 08/24/2011 15:09, Jamie Ivanov wrote:
> That 2*MEM was good back in the old days but even with<1G ram I never used up an entire 512M swap partition. Also, 1G root? Normally I make a 4G root. With 1G, linux compat brought me to 72% usage and if I build i386 compat on my amd64, I have next to null freespace.
> When I'm feeling ambitious enough I may switch boot and root partitions around, that would make more sense size wise but not my ideal partition ordering, considering swap will now be the fastest accessed partition, I will lose ~2mb/s in hdd i/o performance.
> I also really don't feel like reinstalling. While I do want GELI, I don't know if I'm ready for 9, especially in beta, and all of the time I've spend compiling, etc. *sigh* I'm a little disappointed.

A quick(er) solution is to maybe move /compat to /usr/compat and
sym-link to save space on your linux compat stuff.

Remember though, defaults are just defaults. If you have specific needs
on a particular file-system its best to take a quick glance at the
"summary" screen which listed all the size defaults before installation.
You can always go to "advanced" and adjust particular sizes to your
hearts content.