[PC-BSD Testing] strangeness with v9.0 beta1.5

Tigersharke . tigersharke at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 05:01:35 PDT 2011

Greets!

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 5:45 AM, Tigersharke . <tigersharke at gmail.com>wrote:

> My system is AMD 64bit, ATI 3100 graphics on the motherboard.  PC-BSD
> v9.0beta1 was installed and then updated to beta1.5 after reboot (an
> interesting new experience for me).*
> *

> *Another *crash:
>
> While only having KDE available, and using KDE, I opened the control panel.
> On a whim, I tried the DE/WM switcher. It allowed me to choose Gnome, but
> this dimmed the icons in the panel then eventually caused the control panel
> to crash.
>
> If a DE/WM is *not* installed, it should not be visible as an option, or
> display a message "this DE/WM is not installed", or even just display the
> dimmed-out panel items for that unavailable DE/WM.

I am now unsure what caused the above crash, because the control panel seems
to function exactly as I suggest, with dimmed icons for uninstalled each
DE/WM.  I will try to keep an eye out for any similar crash in the future
and hope to know what preceded it more precisely.

Cosmetic issues (which I realize would be trumped by function problems):

   - I do note that in KDE, the slider and arrow-buttons for the control
   panel's window do not match the rest of the theme/scheme for my system. The
   track for the slider is rounded like my current theme but the slider itself
   is square and white, the arrow buttons seem to match it also being squared
   and white.. while the theme prescribes a rounded pale grey slider and arrow
   buttons that blend into the frame greytone afaik.
   - The icons inside the control panel seem to be rather densely spaced as
   compared to the icons in the KDE system settings window which seem to have
   as much as 3x the space currently given between icons in the control panel.

Thanks