[PC-BSD Testing] BETA-1.5 installation report
lars.engels at 0x20.net
Sun Aug 21 14:02:07 PDT 2011
I just tried to install BETA-1.5 and selected the German installer.
- Pre-select timezone and keyboard layout after selecting language
- Missing OS names (only PCBSD and FreeBSD logos) in screen that let's you select the OS you like to install
- ZFS installation suggest 64bit (what is meant here? should be explained) and 4 GB RAM. The installer should
check if both is available and tell the User in red that it's not recommended to proceed with the installation.
As FreeBSD can get very unstable on setups like this the user probably starts complaining that it's FreeBSD's fault
and uninstall it
- For ada0p01 the installer wants to create a 0MB freebsd-boot partition. While this is the right thing, it would
be nice if the installer could tell the user that is intended, so he's not confused by it.
- The descriptions for "Add new partition" and "Delete partition" are missing. Only + and - icons.
- In the "User" menu the description of the first tab is missing. Only the second tab "System options" is readable.
- At least in the German version, the root password is called "Systempasswort" which should maybe be renamed to
"Systemverwaltungspasswort" (which means "System administration password")
- Password complexity is not checked. It should be possible to use an empty or very easy password, but there should
be a warning when the user enters a weak password. Also if the user password and the root password are the same.
- Why is the custom hostname setting hidden in the "System options" tab in the "User" menu?
- You have to select at least one desktop, but a new user doesn't know what a desktop is. Maybe the names of the
desktops could be written bold or italic to make it visible that they're desktops?
- None of the Package descriptions are localized.
- What does the base-devel package include? Even I as an experienced user don't know that.
- Maybe add a comment that if the user doesn't know what the FreeBSD ports tree and the system sources are, he
doesn't need to install them.
- Print a warning, that the actual installation begins if the user proceeds and will write all changes to disk.
ATM there's only a "Begin Installation" pop-up.
- The Display settings wizard is not localized
- GDM's keyboard settings are set to USA, not Germany
- "Back" and "Next" Buttons in the Welcome Window are not localized
- Some headings in the Welcome Window are bold, others not
- The URLs in the Welcome Window should be hyperlinks
- The categories in AppCafe are not localized, their descriptions are
- I installed the LXDE desktop and now have a system without a web browser. The system installer should ask you
to select one or more browsers (Firefox, Chromium, Opera)
- There are no PBI sizes in AppCafe. The user doesn't know how big the packages are, even when he's downloading
them. Only percentage values are displayed.
I haven't taken a deeper look at the installed system, yet. I'll report back later...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 196 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the Testing