[PC-BSD Testing] Testing PC-BSD 9 beta notes

Yuri Momotiuk yurkis at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 03:14:16 PDT 2011

2011/8/17, Serghey Suvorov <serghey.suvorov at gmail.com>:
> A good example of the root PW (rPW) saving I see in my ScientificLinux
> 5.5/GNOME.
> 1) After root authorization in any GUI   I see in tray a mark of saving rPW.
> It
> remains 2-3 min.
> 2) Click on it calls 2 options: to save (for a few minutes) or to drop.
> "Drop/Save" does not act on actual GUI, only on future. It does not act on
> GUI
> without rPW requirement (if you'll call file manager, it will not have a
> root access).
> 3) rPW saving does not act in terminal; only rPW within terminal is legal.
> It is very good; the saving root terminal is a mortal danger.
>
> That rPW saving is absent in SL 6.x. Maybe due to extreme danger.

It looks great but seems to need custom solution. I dont think that
linux specific solutions are works good. May be autorization daemon +
freontend gui. In any case it need very careful coding to prevent
serious security issues.

About control panel. Control panel may alternate runs from root and
runs items as regular user if it needed. For example we add another
shortcut "Control panel (root)". Items which is not need root access
are run from user who runs pc-su pc-controlpanel. It may be
intermediate solution.

In any case I have some ideas about control panel roadmap due to 8.1
and later. I'll publish it here and on my assembla workspace. I hope
to see your opinion.
--
Best regards, Yuri Momotyuk