[PC-BSD Testing] Testing PC-BSD 9 beta notes

Yuri Momotiuk yurkis at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 04:41:42 PDT 2011

2011/8/16 LinuxBSDos.com <finid at linuxbsdos.com>

> Just some observations while testing the latest beta in a virtual
> environments.
>
> 1. The auto-configured size for /boot is 1 GB. Isn't that too much space
> for /boot?
>
> 2. If the encrypt disk option is selected, Swap is not encrypted. I think
> not encrypting Swap leaves a hole in the physical security posture of the
> system.
>
> 3. On first boot, the starting guide or welcome application started before
> the desktop was fully loaded. I think it should start after, not as
> various components of the desktop are loading.
>
> 4. More applications, I think, should be in the Favorites column of the
> menu. Out of the box, entries for AppCafe and the PC-BSD Control Center
> should be there.
>
> 5. I think it would be better if access to the Control Center is
> password-protected, so that you do not have to authenticate to use for
> every application in it.

ControlPanel has many items which is do not need root access. Actually root
access need only for System Manager, Update Manager, Network, Firewall,
Services. That is about 50% of showing items in common case.
Also ControlPanel contains items for desktop environment settings and pbi
related items (like wine configuration). With current solution regular user
can change many user related settings and do not need to know root password.

--
Best regards, Yuri Momotyuk