[PC-BSD Testing] Testing PC-BSD 9 beta notes

LinuxBSDos.com finid at linuxbsdos.com
Tue Aug 16 02:20:22 PDT 2011

Just some observations while testing the latest beta in a virtual
environments.

1. The auto-configured size for /boot is 1 GB. Isn't that too much space
for /boot?

2. If the encrypt disk option is selected, Swap is not encrypted. I think
not encrypting Swap leaves a hole in the physical security posture of the
system.

3. On first boot, the starting guide or welcome application started before
the desktop was fully loaded. I think it should start after, not as
various components of the desktop are loading.

4. More applications, I think, should be in the Favorites column of the
menu. Out of the box, entries for AppCafe and the PC-BSD Control Center
should be there.

5. I think it would be better if access to the Control Center is
password-protected, so that you do not have to authenticate to use for
every application in it.

6. AppCafe looks very good. Live search is cool. When users click on the
Installed tab, I think they would like to see a list of installed
applications. Could this be added to AppCafe?

6. Configurable interface interval updates checking would be a really good
feature to have.

More to come ...

--
Fini D.