[PC-BSD Testing] 64bit USB img flaws.. (v9.0 beta)

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Fri Aug 12 12:34:37 PDT 2011

On 08/12/2011 00:58, Tigersharke . wrote:

> Hello.. Here are some answers to questions Kris asked:
>

>     What was your network connection / setup like? Proxy? Or should
>     regular DHCP just work?
>

> Regular DHCP should just work. The trouble was the mirrors, but to
> rule out the possibility that my own network connectivity was the
> issue, I tried both manual config and auto/DHCP.
I did find a bug relating to this, should be fixed in next beta.

>     What type of video card is in this system? The ATI / Intel drivers
>     are really crummy, and if you select those drivers and it brings
>     you right back to the configuration screen it means X failed to
>     startup. After trying to test a new display setup, right-click on
>     the background and bring up "xterm" and run "cat
>     /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old" and you should be able to see what the
>     particular X error was when testing the new config.
>

> Its an ATI Radeon 3100 graphics on the motherboard (my Sapphire is in
> a drawer  gathering dust).
>
> I will have to try as suggested, to see what the log tells me.
>
> However, I did notice that attempting resolutions of (1900 x 1200) or
> (1600 x something) mean that the taskbar gets partly hidden on the
> left, and the display doesn't seem centered. However, what seemed odd
> was that the installer had no such difficulties with the display. My
> monitor is a Samsung Touch Of Color T260HD 25.5-Inch LCD HDTV Monitor
> which is capable of1920×1200. So obviously something is not getting
> configured exactly right. Another thing I ought to do is copy the
> settings I'm using with v8.2 and see if those would work.

If you can grab your 8.2 xorg.conf and try that, let me know if the
problem goes away or not. The version of xorg is newer in 9, which often
causes weird things to break :(

> In any situation where something fails, it may be nice that it
> gracefully loops, but this is not feedback. Without any sort of
> message to indicate the area of the problem, it may not be possible to
> discover what needs to be adjusted. In the case of the bad mirror
> address either as default or manually entered, if the failure is
> discovered thereby sending the user back to the mirror selection
> screen there ought to be a red flag saying "invalid address" or
> "please choose a different address" on the mirror selection screen.
>
> Thank you everyone for your hard work!

Yea, that loop was an unintentional bug, it should be working correctly
with next update.