[PC-BSD Testing] 64bit USB img flaws.. (v9.0 beta)

Tigersharke . tigersharke at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 21:58:49 PDT 2011

Hello.. Here are some answers to questions Kris asked:

 What was your network connection / setup like? Proxy? Or should regular
> DHCP just work?

Regular DHCP should just work. The trouble was the mirrors, but to rule out
the possibility that my own network connectivity was the issue, I tried both
manual config and auto/DHCP.

> What type of video card is in this system? The ATI / Intel drivers are
> really crummy, and if you select those drivers and it brings you right back
> to the configuration screen it means X failed to startup. After trying to
> test a new display setup, right-click on the background and bring up "xterm"
> and run "cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old" and you should be able to see what the
> particular X error was when testing the new config.

Its an ATI Radeon 3100 graphics on the motherboard (my Sapphire is in a
drawer  gathering dust).

I will have to try as suggested, to see what the log tells me.

However, I did notice that attempting resolutions of (1900 x 1200) or (1600
x something) mean that the taskbar gets partly hidden on the left, and the
display doesn't seem centered. However, what seemed odd was that the
installer had no such difficulties with the display. My monitor is a
SamsungTouch Of Color T260HD 25.5-Inch LCD HDTV Monitor which is
capable of1920×1200. So obviously something is not getting configured
exactly right.
Another thing I ought to do is copy the settings I'm using with v8.2 and see
if those would work.

In any situation where something fails, it may be nice that it gracefully
loops, but this is not feedback. Without any sort of message to indicate the
area of the problem, it may not be possible to discover what needs to be
adjusted. In the case of the bad mirror address either as default or
manually entered, if the failure is discovered thereby sending the user back
to the mirror selection screen there ought to be a red flag saying "invalid
address" or "please choose a different address" on the mirror selection
screen.

Thank you everyone for your hard work!