[PC-BSD Testing] Beta1 testing problems

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Aug 11 09:37:23 PDT 2011

On 08/04/2011 11:13, Ian McNulty wrote:
> Installed from DVD with Gnome and LXDE (no KDE). Selected Nvidia
> drivers and HPLIP before install on UFS partition.
>
> Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 Ghz, old Nvidia Geforce4 MX440 video card. 1gb
> RAM. Multi boot system using grub2 with NTFS and Ext4 partitions.

The nvidia driver included doesn't support the older GF4 cards. Here's
what it supports now:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd-x86-280.13-driver.html -> click
"Supported Products"

I'll take a look and see if there is a way to include the previous
version(s) as well, but it may be a bit tricky :)

> No problem with install except that Nvidia driver selection just
> returns to another selection screen rather than offer an option to
> save config so just selected skip and 2D graphics are fine, so will
> test this later. Did a portsnap fetch and extract. Installed
> fusefs-ntfs and ntfsprogs from ports. Nautilus file manager works fine
> on local file system, but when trying to mount NTFS partitions,
> nothing is displayed in the Nautilus window. If two or more attempts
> to mount the same NTFS partition are made with Nautilus then multiple
> occurrences of "mounted" icons are found in /media/ but no file
> structure is displayed in any of the windows. I have seen something
> almost identical in early snapshots of desktopBSD which PeterH
> resolved before the final release of DBSD7. After re-boot, the /media/
> directory returns to normal until a mount attempt with Nautilus
> resumes the same problem.

The fusefs-ntfs port didn't build correctly for the BETA1 release, I'll
take a look into it and try to fix for the next update.