[PC-BSD Testing] geli & zfs failure in 8.2 and beta 9

Lars Engels lars.engels at 0x20.net
Mon Aug 8 02:47:40 PDT 2011

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 22:58:46 -0500, Jamie Ivanov wrote:
> Operating system encryption is vital for my laptop and I have been
> missing having freebsd installed on my laptop. Someone suggested
> pc-bsd because of the installer options that can do what I want right
> off the bat so I thought I would try it.
>
> I downloaded PCBSD8.2-x64-bootonly to try in a VM before deploying to
> my laptop. I am using VirtualBox 4.1.0 r73009 with a 20gb virtual
> hard
> disk. I made no special configurations to the VM itself and booted
> the
> image, selected standard pc104 keyboard and etc. I enabled encryption
> on the partition screen, entered in my passphrase twice, enabled the
> pc-bsd boot loader, and went on my way doing a network install.
>
> Upon successful installation and reboot, I was prompted for the
> password to mount the encrypted user partition which is what I had
> expected. I entered in my passphrase exactly as typed int he
> installer
> but it would not accept it. 3 times it denied me access.
>
> To rule out a fluke I booted the 8.2 image again and went through the
> steps and made sure that I typed in my passphrase perfectly. Same
> results upon reboot.
>
> Similar results with using ZFS from the partition screen. Upon
> successful installation, a reboot indicated that it could not locate
> the kernel.
>
> Now we move on to the 9.0 beta, with the same unfortunate results as
> 8.2 when it comes to encryption. That's where I stopped.
>
> I have been using freebsd since v4, I am quite familiar with it but I
> am no expert by any stretch of the imagination. Encryption is 100%
> essential due to the nature of my work and in freebsd, that is
> something I am far from familiar with. Having ZFS (in a non-server
> role) is just an added benefit. I assume this is a bug, but if I can
> answer more questions or be of more service by all means call upon
> me.
> I hope to have this issue resolved as soon as humanly possible so I
> can get freebsd on my laptop. I miss fluxbox hacking ;)

In the 9.0 BETA please add this to /boot/loader.conf:

kern.geom.eli.visible_passphrase=2

Now you should see a * for every key you type. On some machines, the
kernel
doesn't take every keypress, so perhaps you're running into that issue.
Just
try to enter the key again until it gets recognized. (Annoying, but
works...)