[PC-BSD Testing] installer does not support proxy (needs an input so user can set)

ron georgia rong1611 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 18:14:29 PDT 2011

Dru,
Thanks for putting this in (yes, I am the "IRC" user). I did try to
netinstall pcbsd-9.0-BETA1 at home (same type of machine) and ran into
a similar problem, that being that the select a mirror dialog box
simply disappears after a selection is made. Looks like a bug in the
netinstall workflow along with the proxy "thing." I will try to gather
my thoughts and notes and submit something in writing on Monday.

Someone from the IRC channel suggested that is issue a pciconf -l –cv
command which output a lot of info. Is that needed? What do you
recommend sending the list that is meaningful.

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Dru Lavigne <dru.lavigne at att.net> wrote:
> A user on IRC indicates that a netinstall doesn't work if the user is behind a proxy. Adding three input fields to this screen:
>
> http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/File:Network_install1.png
>
> that allow a user to:
>
> 1. selct FTP or HTTP from a drop-down menu
> 2. input an IP address (mandatory)
> 3. input a port number (optional)
>
> should fix this problem.
>
> The backend should take the input and turn it into a command such as:
>
> setenv HTTP_PROXY http://1.2.3.4
>
> or
>
> setenv FTP_PROXY ftp://1.2.3.4:8080
>
> Assuming the backend is using csh/tcsh.
>
> The user can assist in testing this functionality.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dru

Ron Georgia
John 13:23