[PC-BSD Testing] geli & zfs failure in 8.2 and beta 9

Jamie Ivanov jamie.ivanov at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 20:58:46 PDT 2011

Operating system encryption is vital for my laptop and I have been
missing having freebsd installed on my laptop. Someone suggested
pc-bsd because of the installer options that can do what I want right
off the bat so I thought I would try it.

I downloaded PCBSD8.2-x64-bootonly to try in a VM before deploying to
my laptop. I am using VirtualBox 4.1.0 r73009 with a 20gb virtual hard
disk. I made no special configurations to the VM itself and booted the
image, selected standard pc104 keyboard and etc. I enabled encryption
on the partition screen, entered in my passphrase twice, enabled the
pc-bsd boot loader, and went on my way doing a network install.

Upon successful installation and reboot, I was prompted for the
password to mount the encrypted user partition which is what I had
expected. I entered in my passphrase exactly as typed int he installer
but it would not accept it. 3 times it denied me access.

To rule out a fluke I booted the 8.2 image again and went through the
steps and made sure that I typed in my passphrase perfectly. Same
results upon reboot.

Similar results with using ZFS from the partition screen. Upon
successful installation, a reboot indicated that it could not locate
the kernel.

Now we move on to the 9.0 beta, with the same unfortunate results as
8.2 when it comes to encryption. That's where I stopped.

I have been using freebsd since v4, I am quite familiar with it but I
am no expert by any stretch of the imagination. Encryption is 100%
essential due to the nature of my work and in freebsd, that is
something I am far from familiar with. Having ZFS (in a non-server
role) is just an added benefit. I assume this is a bug, but if I can
answer more questions or be of more service by all means call upon me.
I hope to have this issue resolved as soon as humanly possible so I
can get freebsd on my laptop. I miss fluxbox hacking ;)

Jamie Ivanov / KC9LFD
m.608.399.4252
Blackberry: 32DD619E
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jamieivanov
solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute
non-public information. Any use of this information by anyone other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this
transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender and
delete this information from your system. Use, dissemination,
distribution, or reproduction of this transmission by unintended
recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.