[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD LXDE Program suggestions

Dru Lavigne dru.lavigne at att.net
Fri Aug 5 11:08:07 PDT 2011

Going through these one at a time to see if they are addable:

>     Not Included
>
>         GtkNetCat

There is a ports request as no port exists:
http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=14653

>         LXMusic

No port. Request submitted:
http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?p=88307

>         LXNM

Not needed for PC-BSD as we have a pc-bsd specific network manager

> Applications and System Tools
>
>     Login Manager : LXDM

Not needed for pc-bsd as we have a login manager used by all desktops.

>     System monitor : LXTask

Located in /sysutils/lstask so can be easily added to LXDE's ports list

>     Windows configuration : Obconf

Located in x11-wm/obconf so can be easily added.

>     Networking : Network manager + nm-applet
>     Software management : Synaptic

Neither needed as PC-BSD has its own tools for this.

> Graphics
>
>     Image viewer: GPicView

Already included.

>     Paint : MTPaint

Located in /graphics/mtpaint so easily addable.

> PDF reader : Evince

Located in graphics/evince so easily addable.

> Multimedia
>
>     Music : Audacious

Should this be left as a PBI?

>     Videos : Gnome-mplayer

Located in multimedia/gnome-mplayer so easily addable.

>     Webcam : guvcview

Port request submitted:
http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?p=88308

> Internet
>
>     Browser :Chromium, the open-source version of
> Google Chrome
>
>     Email : Sylpheed
>
>     Instant Messages : Pidgin
>
>     Bittorrent : Transmission
>
>     IRC : XChat

These should prob all be left as PBIs.

> Office and related
>
>     Spreadsheet : Gnumeric
>
>     Wordprocessor : Abiword

Should both prob be left as PBIs.

>     Notes : Xpad

Located in desutils/xpad so can be added or converted to PBI.

> Accessories
>
>     Calculator : Galculator

Located in math/galculator so can be added.

>     Notepad : Leafpad

Already included.

>     Screenshot : scrot

Located in graphics/scrot so easily addable.

>     CD burner : Xfburn

Located in sysutils/xfburn so easily addable.

>     Terminal : Lxterminal

Already included.

>     Archiver : File-roller

Located in archivers/file-roller so easily addable.

>     Screensaver : Xscreensaver

Located in x11/xscreensaver so easily addable.

> Games
>
>     Ace of penguins

A port could be asked of this: http://www.delorie.com/store/ace/. But we might be better off finding a beastie version and adding that instead ;-)

Cheers,