[PC-BSD Testing] Beta1 testing problems

Ian McNulty ian-mcnulty at o2.co.uk
Thu Aug 4 08:13:20 PDT 2011

Installed from DVD with Gnome and LXDE (no KDE). Selected Nvidia drivers
and HPLIP before install on UFS partition.

Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 Ghz, old Nvidia Geforce4 MX440 video card. 1gb RAM.
Multi boot system using grub2 with NTFS and Ext4 partitions.

No problem with install except that Nvidia driver selection just returns
to another selection screen rather than offer an option to save config
so just selected skip and 2D graphics are fine, so will test this later.
Did a portsnap fetch and extract. Installed fusefs-ntfs and ntfsprogs
from ports. Nautilus file manager works fine on local file system, but
when trying to mount NTFS partitions, nothing is displayed in the
Nautilus window. If two or more attempts to mount the same NTFS
partition are made with Nautilus then multiple occurrences of "mounted"
icons are found in /media/ but no file structure is displayed in any of
the windows. I have seen something almost identical in early snapshots
of desktopBSD which PeterH resolved before the final release of DBSD7.
After re-boot, the /media/ directory returns to normal until a mount
attempt with Nautilus resumes the same problem.

I don't recall the mounting problems with the last snapshot of 02/07/11
(UK date convention), but I installed that with KDE.

All works fine with PCBSD 8.2 (KDE) and Archlinux on same machine.

Regards to all