[PC-BSD Testing] 64bit bootonly USB img flaw

Tigersharke . tigersharke at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 00:13:20 PDT 2011

Hello there..

I downloaded and verified the PCBSD9.0-BETA1-x64-USB-bootonly.img.bz2 then
unpacked and installed it, all without problems. It seemed slow to load as I
expected being from a USB thumbdrive but once it was booting, it seemed
speedy, it did its probe and my display seemed to be configured nicely.

When I attempted to install from the network, I was unable.

Right after I chose the mirror and its window closed, I could not progress
any further by clicking the 'next' button of the installer window. If it was
stalled or working slowly, I cannot be sure since there was no feedback at
all. Choosing neither DHCP/auto nor manually specifying my networking
information made any difference.

On a whim, I chose to try the dvd/usb as installation media. In this attempt
I was able to continue to the point where the installer discovered that the
USB did not contain anything to enable such an install, which was an
expected/proper failure.

Other things :

  Received an odd error during boot/load something like "cannot load, no
such /dev/uhid*" though both mouse and keyboard worked fine after boot. (The
next time I see this, I will try to record the message more precisely.)

  It may be due to my monitor's resolution (1920x1200) or the driver that
was automatically chosen, but it seemed to me that the font used in the
installer was a little difficult to read, not solely due to size.

Thanks!