[PC-BSD Testing] Firefox4 Problems

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Mon Apr 25 08:30:45 PDT 2011

On 04/25/2011 10:17 AM, Kris Moore wrote:
> On 04/25/2011 11:14, Ian Robinson wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 3:00 PM, <testing-request at lists.pcbsd.org
>> <mailto:testing-request at lists.pcbsd.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     The symlink is still there but java applets stopped working with
>>     the upgrade to FF4 and the plugin is not listed in the plugins
>>     directory in FF4.

>> Firefox 4 has other problems too.  For example, I cannot attach files
>> to emails.
>>
>> --
>> Ian Robinson
>> Salem, Ohio

> Are we sure these are porting issues, or simply new bugs in Firefox 4?
> And what e-mail service are you having trouble attaching with? I can
> attach here with gmail anyway.

Kris,

They could very well be bugs. Firefox 4.0.1 is right around the corner
(end of this week if no more bugs are found, early May if otherwise) and
there's been a decent amount of bugs fixed in it
(https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&field0-0-0=cf_status_20&type0-0-0=substring&value0-0-0=.1-fixed).

I watched the development cycle beginning around beta6 and by the time
final came out, there were still some outstanding PDF  and *nix issues
as well. This could have very well carried over into porting, but I
would lean more towards it being a bug. Also, there was an e-mail about
Java a few messages ago, I read the release notes on the newly release
Java 6.0 u25 and there is clear mention of adding support for Firefox 4
(http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/6u25releasenotes-356444.html).
It's possible some things were just not baked well for 4.0 and they may
be fixed for 4.0.1, including java stuff.

Arthur