[PC-BSD Testing] 20110414 snapshot, IceWM installed‏‏, booted into Fluxbox

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Apr 19 12:56:33 PDT 2011

On 04/19/2011 10:33, Dru Lavigne wrote:
> If you install only IceWM, it boots into Fluxbox by default. Having
> never used IceWM before, I didn't notice until I got further down the
> menu and saw the Fluxbox menu settings. If KDE isn't installed, a
> whole bunch of stuff still shows up in the menus even though they're
> not installed, making for a very disappointing user experience:
>
> right-click -> Internet contains entries for Konqueror, Firefox 3,
> Opera, Thunderbird, and KMail, none of which work
>
> right-click -> Media contains entries for Amarok and VLC, none of
> which work
>
> right-click -> Graphics contains an entry for Gimp which does not work
>
> right-click -> Editors contains entries for OpenOffice 3 and KWrite,
> none of which work
>
> right-click -> Tools contains entries for File Manager, Konsole, K3B,
> and PC-BSD Control Panel, none of which work
>
> Is there any way to only have menu items appear when the apps are
> actually installed?

I've removed the default .fluxbox config from 8.x, since we can't rely
on apps being installed from KDE4 before. The user will need to
configure the fluxbox WM to their liking, but I will add the new
wallpaper when we get it.

> System Manager icon is similar to Awesome: it's in the system tray and
> everything works but "Start the System Manager".
Should be fixed in next snapshot.

> The wallpaper is fine but there aren't any icons on the desktop.
Flux doesn't support desktop-icons if I recall correctly. You have to
install and customize another "desktop" application.