[PC-BSD Testing] 20110414 snapshot, XFCE installed

Dru Lavigne drulavigne at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 18 13:15:11 PDT 2011

Notes from the 32 bit DVD installed in virtualbox with XFCE as the only desktop:

Desktop icon "PC-BSD Handbook" does not open. Linking to epdfviewer should fix this, but when I tried changing the association it prompted me for a password with a message indicating that the document was encrypted.

Service Manager, System Manager, User Manager, Firewall Manager and Life Preserver Backup do not open from within Control Panel (the other icons do).

Applications -> Development has 3 menu items which are all empty (I assume these apps didn't come with xfce or xfce-plugins). Adding devel/xfce-dev-tools should fix this.

Same deal for Applications -> Education which has 5 empty menu items

Same deal for Applications -> Games which has 7 empty menu items

Same deal for Applications -> Graphics which has 1 empty menu item

Same deal for Applications -> Internet -> Terminal Applications which has 1 empty menu item

Applications -> Internet -> Web browser crashes. I suspect it is looking for something other than w3m which seems to be the only installed browser.

Same deal for Applications -> Internet -> More Applications which has 1 empty menu item

Applications -> Mail Reader prompts to browse for an app but there isn't a mail reader installed that I could find.

Applications -> Run Program tries to but immediately crashes. Same for terminal programs with terminal box checked.  An "opening socket" flashes by as it crashes.

Applications -> Science & Math is empty.

Applications -> System -> System is empty.

Applications -> System -> Terminal Emulator is empty. The terminal emulator is installed as it works just fine from other menus.

Applications -> System -> Online Update Notifier doesn't open.

Applications -> Utilities -> X-Utilities is empty. Installing sysutils/xfce4-utils should fix this.

Applications -> Utilities -> Clipman does not open. Installing x11/xfce4-clipman-plugin should fix this.

Applications -> Utilities -> Screenshot does not open. Installing x11/xfce4-screenshooter-plugin should fix this.

Cheers,

Dru