[PC-BSD Testing] notes on latest 9 snapshot (GNOME install)

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Apr 14 08:58:16 PDT 2011

On 04/11/2011 05:30, Koop Mast wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 11:52 +0000, Dru Lavigne wrote:
>> These notes are for the 32 bit full version running in VirtualBox with
>> GNOME installed as the only desktop.
>>
>> During installation:
>>
>> Auto-login user checkbox has been removed from Users screen; what is
>> the default and how does it get changed?

The default is to have this disabled. I'm not planning on adding it to
the installer, but perhaps to some utility for post-installation.

>> The path for bash in the shell drop down menu is truncated. Do we need
>> to put in the full path names or are users only interested in the
>> shell name?

Fixed to use only the shell name.
>> Either the font is funky or there is a typo when referring to
>> localization in Desktop selection screen. The first reference looks
>> like Base-I18N and the second like L10N (under KDE4)

No, those are correct. Normally its i18n, but for the KDE4 ports they
use the notation L10N now, so I'm keeping it true to their individual
naming conventions.
>> Really like the new progress bars!

Thanks!

>> More GNOME issues:
>>
>> Internet ->  Epiphany web browser works great until you go to a website
>> that uses flash (e.g. it crashed when I went to youtube)
> This seems to be a problem with nspluginwrapper. When I run epiphany
> from console it complains about a assertion and makes epiphany exit.

Is this something that will be fixed in the port? Perhaps for 3.0?

>> Applications ->  Multimedia ->  Sound recorder gives this error when it
>> launches:
>>
>> "Your audio capture settings are invalid. Please correct them with the
>> "Sound Preferences" under the System Preferences menu."
>>
>> Going there results in the message "waiting for sound system to
>> respond" which stays there forever until you close it (still no sound,
>> still no preferences menu that opened to set it)
> Works for me, but maybe a virtualbox thing? It probably doesn't help my
> virtualbox host is a windows box...

Works for me as well here.

>> Applications ->  System is a little confusing as it mixes both PC-BSD
>> utilities with GNOME utilities. Should all the PC-BSD utilities be
>> placed in "PC-BSD Control Panel" and not repeated in System menu? A
>> screenshot can be seen at
>> http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/File:Gnome-system.png.
> Good point, it will clear up for users what belongs where.

The only PC-BSD utilities I see in there are "AppCafe, "Online Update
Notifier" and "PC-BSD Control Panel". Those seem to be reasonable ones
to have right?

>> Applications ->  System ->  Root Terminal does not launch
> Root terminal does: "gksu /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator". gksu works, but
> I can't find any x-terminal-emulator on my install. So that seems to be
> the problem here.
>
> -Koop

I've submitted a new PR with updates to gksu that fixes these sporadic
issues:

>> It makes sense to add an entry for the PC-BSD Control Panel to System
>> ->  Administration menu. Or at least its contents, only about 1/3 of
>> the items are here, see the screenshot at
>> http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/File:Gnome-system1.png.

Added the control panel to this menu.
>> There are 2 icons to the Handbook on the desktop. The one named "Users
>> Handbook" has correct icon and location. The one named "PC-BSD
>> Handbook" has wrong location and no icon (the icon looks like a white
>> sheet of paper). The icon to the PC-BSD website is also incorrect
>> (blank sheet of paper), but its link works.

Fixed!