[PC-BSD Testing] latest snapshot, LXDE install

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Tue Apr 12 08:44:23 PDT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>
To: testing at lists.pcbsd.org
Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] latest snapshot, LXDE install
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 11:25:37 -0400

On 04/08/2011 08:42, Dru Lavigne wrote:
> Notes from the 32 bit DVD installed in virtualbox with LXDE as the
> only desktop:
>
> The desktop icon "Users Handbook" is a question mark, clicking on it
> makes all the icons on the desktop temporarily disappear and does not
> open anything.

Fixed!

> The desktop icon "PC-BSD Handbook" does not open.

Fixed!

> The desktop icon "PC-BSD Website" does not open.

Fixed!

> PCBSD Control Panel does not remember the password, regardless if save
> for this session or save to keyring.

See that here as well, something with gksu / gnome-keyring?

> Half of the icons in Control Panel do not open. The ones that DO open
> are: AppCafe, Ports Jail, Printing, Network Configuration, and Life
> Preserver

Working on an update to gksu, the one we have in ports is super old and
broken it seems.

> For the update manager in the system tray: double-clicking does not
> open, right-clicking and selecting System Manager does not open,
> right-clicking and selecting AppCafe does open

Same issue as above.

> System -> Manage Printing (CUPS) does not open

This wont open until you install a web-browser via the appcafe :)

> System -> Online Update Notifier does not open

If the "shield" icon is already in the tray, it won't open another
copy.

> System -> Root terminal prompts for password but does not open
> terminal

Same issue as gksu above.

> System -> Run as different user does prompt for password but does not
> run anything

Ditto

> Everything else seemed to work.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dru

Maybe for the CUPS issue it would be a good idea for the launcher to run
a script that checks for a web browser. If a browser is found, it opens
the CUPS manager, but if there isn't a browser it could pop-up a
dialogue box explaining the feature requires a browser?

- Jesse