[PC-BSD Testing] latest snapshot, KDE install

Dru Lavigne drulavigne at sympatico.ca
Thu Apr 7 12:46:22 PDT 2011

Tested 32 bit version in virtualbox with KDE as the only desktop installed. Some of these issues may be of interest to the KDE ports team.

Nepomuk gives the following error when you login: "Nepomuk Semantic Desktop needs the Virtuoso RDF server to store its data."

Is there a way to tell KDE not to issue the warning seen in http://wiki.pcbsd.org/images/1/1c/Kde-warning.png? This seems to be new in 4.6.1 and occurs when clicking on the icon for AppCafe, PC-BSD ControlPanel, and the PC-BSD Handbook. No sense scaring new users if we don't have to--and it doesn't look too good if KDE does not trust "our" apps. Note that this only occurs the first time the user access the icon so it should be a configurable something.

Control Panel is not remembering the superuser password and prompts every time an icon is accessed. A different authorization program is used by KDE (e.g. when you change the system time). See the screenshot at http://wiki.pcbsd.org/images/3/3e/Authorize.png. Neither seems to remember the password though.

The login manager allows you to login as root (under Other), then loads only an xterm under Fluxbox. Since previous versions of PC-BSD disallowed root logins this should be fixed. It will also be confusing to new users as I initially thought the desktop had frozen (its window was empty and pale, almost transparent) until I right-clicked it.

Will Warden be in Control Panel? My vote would be for yes because for documentation purposes all of the PC-BSD specific utilities are in one place. Otherwise I have to figure out where else in the table of contents to put warden.

The two Handbook icons are still confusing. My suggestion: rename "Users Handbook" (the one that points to the wiki) to "PC-BSD Wiki".

Is it possible to rename Favorites -> System Settings to "KDE Settings"? This will be less confusing since the "pc-bsd system" settings are really in control panel.

The default wallpaper is Horos instead of Hubble. I'm assuming this will be changed to the 9 artwork once it is ready?

The default splash screen is "Default" and Hubble has no preview. I'm assuming this will be changed to the 9 artwork once it is ready?

/comms/lirc will be needed for System Settings -> Input Devices -> Remote Controls

Settings -> Date & Time still does not work. See the error message at http://wiki.pcbsd.org/images/4/49/Error.png.

Since we are no longer using kdm, should System Settings -> Login Screen be removed?

System Settings -> GTK  Styles and Fonts: should the heading really be "Lost and Found"?

No dictionaries are installed for Applications -> Education -> Languages -> Japanese Reference/Study Tool

Applications -> Games -> Arcade -> Kapman opens up a blank window.

Applications -> Games -> Board Games -> Kigo launches with the error "Kigo was unable to find a Go engine backend" It suggests installing gnugo. (there is a port in games/gnugo which is not installed).

Applications -> Games -> Board Games -> Kajongg prompts you to select a ruleset when you start the game but then gives the error "no such file or directory". (However, KMahjongg works fine).

Applications -> Games -> Logic Games -> Palapeli hogs the CPU trying to start and then crashes.

Amor is the only entry in Games ->Toys it also has its own entry in Games (directly under Games -> Toys)

Application -> Graphics -> Exposure Blending won't launch as it needs hugin

Why is mplayer is in Applications -> Internet? (it is also in Multimedia where it belongs)

Applications -> Multimedia -> Sound Mixer does not launch. It is also not (hidden) in the system tray (that I could find). Running mixer manually gave the error "/dev/mixer: no such file or directory". Someone else should check this on a real system as it may be a vbox issue.

Applications -> System -> Nepomuk Backup complains that Nepomuk is not running which is probably related to the nepomuk error message mentioned above.

Applications -> System -> Online Update Notifier needs to be removed or updated.

Applications -> System -> Root Terminal prompts for password but does not open the terminal.

I couldn't get Applications -> System -> Run as Different User to run anything; it never prompted me for the other users's password either.

I'd suggest either adding Control Panel to Applications -> Settings or putting it as the first entry in Applications -> System. ATM it is buried in the middle of System and you have to scroll down to see it.

Should Applications -> System -> User Manager be removed as we have our own?

Applications -> System -> View Disk Usage does not understand the "Type" as these are all set to "?".

Applications -> System -> Kde Wallet Management -> File -> New Wallet did not launch the new wallet wizard.

Other than that, the rest of the apps launched and seemed usable.

Looks like the next snapshot will be running KDE 4.6.2...

Cheers,

Dru